Academic Research & Writing
Academic research and writing are both critical skills for both your success as a student and in your professional career. We've collected some resources to help guide you in these important areas.
Finding & Choosing Sources
The UA Libraries offers numerous for finding scholarly sources, newspaper articles, and other publications. You can also find tutorials on how to use popular search engines such as JSTOR, Google Scholar, and Web of Science.
See also their tutorials on:
Good writing helps you work appear more professional, better communicate your ideas, and be more persuasive. Watch our short video on writing academic essays and checkout the resources below.
- A guide to writing an academic paper from Steven Horowitz at The Washington Post
- Writing Skills Improvement Program offers online tutoring and other writing services
- The Writing Center offers online and in-person appointments for improving writing
Citations & Plagiarism
Correctly citing sources is important for allowing others to find the sources that you've used and for giving credit to the ideas of others. You are expected to always credit other people's ideas and theories, whether they are paraphrased or directly quoted.
See these tips from the UA Libraries for avoiding plagiarism and citing sources:
- Guide to avoiding plagiarism
- How to cite sources (including citation styles like APA)
- Citation management tools (such as RefWorks, EndNote, Zotero)